Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wayne-My Fortress


A more loving and supportive husband than Wayne simply doesn't exist. Nobody loves me quite like he does. Second only to Jesus Himself, he is God's most gracious gift to me. I'll never forget his tenderness and patience for me while I carried Isaac. I cried many tears lying in the comfort of his embrace. He was always there-comforting, holding, and whispering words of strength and encouragment.

It bothered me that Isaac's cleft came from me. I felt responsible for passing it down to him. After all, my genes and heredity were the source. I remember Wayne telling me over and over how it wasn't my fault and that I hadn't picked or chosen this for him. Even though I knew it wasn't my fault I needed to hear his words. His words helped so much to combat those overwhelming feelings that tried to tell me otherwise.

I know that Wayne had his own fears and concerns for the baby. He wasn't as familiar with the medical stuff as I was. I shared stories from the internet with him and talked to him often about the things I knew and understood about cleft lips and palates. With my insider's view I tried to give Wayne a better picture of what to expect. The help I was to him doesn't hold a candle to the strength he gave to me.

No comments: