Friday, May 2, 2008

Mother of My Heart

If you'd like to see a real life superhero I'll show you one. Sandra is my mother of the heart. We don't share any blood relation but don't say it too loudly-my heart doesn't know that.

Her life's experiences and wisdom give me much to learn from and much to be proud of. She's been knocked down by some of life's most potent blows but never knocked out. Breast cancer didn't have what it took. A child hood filled with who knows what didn't stop her. She's a fierce and tenacious advocate for children. Show her an underdog with odds stacked against them and she'll fight for them. Her loud and brave voice for sexually abused children founded an organization that has provided love, acceptance and healing for countless children through activity groups and a curriculum she created. Talk about a superhero.

Her compassion and love for what others overlook goes on like the energizer bunny. She's an awesome mom and a loyal friend. I consider myself extremely blessed to know her and be loved by her.

Isaac's first year was filled with hard, hard things. Two surgeries on your infant is not easy. She made them easier. It's amazing and a little alarming that she understands me so. (Honestly, is that a healthy thing?) She has a gift with words and they soothe the soul. Knowing you can be real with someone with absolutely no need to pretend something isn't hard is a priceless gift.


Thank you for your comfort, support, and for the way you believe in me. You are my wub-a-nub.

No comments: